Monday, September 10, 2012

"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going..."



Sometimes I feel lost.  I don’t know where I’m going.  Despite all of the powerful works of God in my life, despite the unmistakable ways he has revealed himself and his great love for me, I still doubt.  I doubt that I have enough.  I doubt that I’m going to make it.  I wonder what I was thinking to trust in God so much.  I figure that I have made a mistake in judgment somewhere.  I, too, can slip into despair.

St. Gregory of Nyssa (4th century bishop venerated by Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and many Protestant churches) reminds me that I am not alone.  Reflecting on the life of Israel’s founding father, Gregory notes “Abraham left without knowing where he was headed – a sure sign that he was going the right way.”  As Gregory plunged headlong into the Arian controversy of the 4th century, he was in troubled and unchartered waters.  He couldn’t see the road ahead of him.  He couldn’t anticipate the outcome.  Yet his steadfastness would defend the faith against Arian heresy and lay the Christological foundations of the Church for millennia to come.

Over 1500 years later, another great mind would enter the scene and change the course of Christian history forever.  Thomas Merton was a Catholic priest and Trappist monk whose prodigious writings offer some of the most penetrating spiritual reflections of the twentieth century, ranging from social justice to the contemplative life, from the theology of the person to the inter-religious dialogue.  Like St. Gregory, Merton’s mind was lucid and unrivaled.  Yet he too, this man of towering intellect and profound spiritual depth, often found himself lost and in desperate need of the Savior. 

Today his words mean more to me than ever.  Challenged by darkness and divisions (both within and without), we all sense our deep need of God and one another as we take this journey of faith.  Ponder with me this prayer that he wrote and the connections it has to your life:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself,
and the fact that I think I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire
in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything
apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will not leave me to face my perils alone.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great word of encouragement ! I have come to realize that being in this place of feeling directionless and "not knowing where we're going" is often God's blessing in action. Though it doesn't feel like it right away, I believe God loves it when we reach these points. It's in these moments we're most real and honest with our finality and weakness. It's in these moments of realness God takes over so that his Glory maybe seen in full, and we can realize he knew the plans he had for us all along and that it was always for our good.

    Here's the catch... how do we get to these places of joyfull submission to an uncertain future? We as Americans are so use to instant gratification, waiting is not in our nature. So often we let the fires of our trials affect us negatively. Ive have to teach myself that the same fires that melt the ice can harden the clay. It's important for us to learn to be soft and mold able in these moments. To lay down our pride and be honest to ourselves and to God. That's why I love Merton's words here when he says:
    "nor do I really know myself
    And the fact that I think I am
    Following your will does not
    mean that I am actually doing
    So."

    My prayer is I and you continually run towards Gods breaking, shaping, and molding of me; lest I become jaded and rendered ineffective for God.

    Thanks for the post Michael, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your input. I pray that this dialogue may be a blessing to you personally and to the ministry you exercise in Christ.

Michael