Monday, November 11, 2013

Gratitude

Two weeks ago my wife and I bought a house.[1] I can hardly describe the feeling of having a space of our own – awe, humility, delight, disbelief, thanksgiving. For our growing family, for the many guests we welcome into our home each month, for years of forming memories with friends and loved ones, this house is a real gift.

The gift of a home makes me mindful of so many other things for which I’m grateful – for an incredible wife with whom I can share life, for healthy children filled with innocence and wonder, for work that allows me to drop my nets and follow Jesus with everything I’ve got, for the many friends and generous benefactors that support this ministry of bridge-building and Christian mission for the sake of kids. Let me say THANK YOU for your encouragement, your prayers and your partnership in the gospel.

A few years ago, a friend introduced me to an artist who’s life changed in a little coastal town in northern California. Louie Schwartzberg recalled, “I didn’t have much money, but I had time and a sense of wonder.” So he started shooting time-lapsed photography of flowers, an art that so gripped his soul that he has been doing it non-stop, 24 hours a day, for the past 30 years. The images are stunningly brilliant, filled with all the playfulness, creativity and freedom of the God who created them. “To see them move is a dance I’ll never get tired of,” he noted.

In this month of Thanksgiving, I want to share with you a project Schwartzberg put together called “Happiness Revealed,” something that has always put my life in proper perspective before God. Take 10 minutes and lean into the glorious mystery of life that God has given us. I pray that it will fill your heart, as it has done mine, with a profound sense of gratitude.



[1] Thus the two-week hiatus in writing. I can honestly say I’ve never ripped out more carpet, pulled more staples, painted more walls, raked more leaves and spent more sleepless nights than I have over the last 14 days. And my body’s letting me know! 

1 comment:

  1. hey nice video you added to the post mehn. I love your style of blogging here. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: I Think “This Doesn’t Apply To Me” .
    keep up the good work.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your input. I pray that this dialogue may be a blessing to you personally and to the ministry you exercise in Christ.

Michael