Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Entering the Conversation: Protestant Reflections from Catholic Country


When a Protestant Young Life staffer finds himself right smack in the middle of Catholic country, lots of interesting things can happen.  I'm pleased to introduce Brad Sytsma, a seasoned area director ministering in and around one of our nation's greatest Catholic universities.  I pray your heart will be encouraged as you read his reflections. . .


When is the last time you talked theology with a devout Catholic?  Have you ever had a conversation with someone who left their Protestant church for the Catholic Church?  What are the “real” differences between Catholics and Protestants?  Do Catholics really believe all the things we have heard they believe?  Have you ever asked why Catholics believe what they do from a biblical standpoint?

About a year ago, my wife and three children moved to South Bend, Indiana where I am currently the Area Director for Young Life.  With the University of Notre Dame in our back yard, there are many devout Catholics in our community.   In Young Life here, we have at least six Catholic leaders.  One of my team leaders is a dynamic and faithful Catholic who is working on a Masters of Divinity degree here at Notre Dame. 

Since I have been here, I have been engaged in some amazing conversations with a couple of people who have converted to Catholicism from a Protestant past.  I’ve also spoken with devout Catholics who love Jesus and have a thriving relationship with him.  On the other hand, I’ve had plenty of conversations with Catholics and Protestants alike who are not engaged in the “faith” conversation.

In my work in Young Life and in my daily life as a Christian I’ve discovered several things:
1) We have a lot to learn about each other (Protestants and Catholics) and we need each other 
2) There is a rich theology in Catholicism that we are missing as Protestants
3) Protestants need to stop protesting and start uniting with our Catholic brothers and sisters for the sake of the Gospel (take a look at 1 Corinthians 1:10-2:5)

Obviously, I’m just scratching the surface here and trying to wet the Protestant whistle.  There is so much to discuss.  The question remains: Are you willing to enter the conversation?

“I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.”
1 Corinthians 1:10

Brad suggests reading:
How to go from being a Good Evangelical to a Committed Catholic in 95 Difficult Steps by Christian Smith
If Protestantism is True by Devin Rose


Brad and his wife Amy tailgating at a ND football game

8 comments:

  1. Wow - That guy is a all-star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad,

    Good post! I like the part about COMMUNICATION. It is amazing how much we find out about each other if we actually talk, in humility.

    Keep it up.

    In His love,
    Chris Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  3. And with a name like Sytsma good dutchman I might add. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad amazing post, I cannot wait to read your suggested reading!

    I also have read Devin Rose's book and it was a very interesting read. It showed me some amazing pro's and cons to the Reformation that my eyes were not open to before reading.

    Thank you for your heart, and the conversation is so important between all of us as Brothers and Sisters in Christ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brad,
    How have all those Catholic leaders affected YL ministry in your area? In ministry to Catholic kids in club? In camp and post camp? Campaigners? In YL's relationship with the local priests?
    I'd love to hear some of your experiences!
    Chrispy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrispy,

      I've only been here a year so far, so I"m at the beginning of all this. I'll keep you posted as the time progresses, but I'm very impressed and challenged by the love for Christ our leaders have. Many of them are just as new as me, so time will tell. Would love your prayers!

      Brad

      Delete
  6. As a teen, I was not only Catholic, in a public high school, but involved in an organization such as YL. It was a great turning point for my relationship with Christ, and I have a strong desire to ensure all teens come to know Christ. As a Catholic, I am challenged to spread the gospel in word and deed. The emphasis for me is not only telling people about the Gospel, but acting according to Christ's love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to hear about the positive relationship between your Catholic faith and your experience in Young Life (or an organization like YL). This is true for so many people I talk to. When we experience God so personally in Young Life, through committed relationships and incarnational presence, our Catholic faith is only strengthened. Young Life's gift to many young people raised in the Catholic tradition is to bring the story of Christ alive, to awaken a new consciousness of God in our midst, and to inspire a new walk of life with Jesus at the center. What a great coupling!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your input. I pray that this dialogue may be a blessing to you personally and to the ministry you exercise in Christ.

Michael