Thursday, May 8, 2014

Straight to the Point


I’m going to be very straightforward in this post. After spending 24 hours in silence at a Jesuit retreat house in Colorado, I have come to two very important conclusions:
          1)     I feel alone.
          2)    I need a team.

Feeling Alone
As a caveat, I know, in my heart of hearts, that I’m not alone. I know that God is with me. I don’t question his presence or his love. Furthermore, I know that my wife is with me. Tasha is one of the greatest and most enduring gifts of God in my life. Beyond that, I am blessed by both friends and fellow sojourners on “the Way.”

Notwithstanding, God has called me to a very unique role – to be a bridge-builder in an age of division, an ambassador of reconciliation in a climate of discord, a catalyst for renewal and a spark for the new evangelization. I believe that God has uniquely prepared me to foster reconciliation and launch a new era of collaboration between Protestants and Catholics, between the mission of Young Life and the Catholic Church worldwide. I love and cherish this calling. And there’s fruit in it. This work could translate into millions of kids knowing Jesus Christ and joyfully contributing their gifts to the kingdom.

Yet I feel like I’m on an island.

I office out of the home. I travel a lot. I speak to audiences. I come home. I follow up. I read. I reflect. I write. I’m encouraged by many people, don’t get me wrong – my wife and close friends, my colleagues in Young Life and the Church, my boss, over 3,000 readers per month. But I feel like a team of one. On a day-to-day basis, I have no one to work with, to pray and ponder with, to reflect and wrestle with, to discern and risk with. I feel alone.

Needing A Team
It was a wise and perceptive spiritual director who said it. “You need a team.” It hit me like a ton of bricks. It was God talking and I heard it loud in clear. What I need right now is a team – actually two teams:

1. Financial Benefactors
·      My work is completely funded by personal giving. 100%. For the last 18 months, my family and I have lived month-to-month (literally) and God has provided. It is scary at times but it has also confirmed this call.
·      I currently have less than 3 weeks of operating budget in the bank. That means in less than a month, I’ll be out. Now I don’t believe this work is over. I just need people to help.

Would you be one of 50 people who commit a monthly gift today? $50? $100?
The rest of my budget would be raised for the year! I need a team. Are you with me?

Giving is simple. Go to: giving.younglife.org and follow the directions below.[1] It’s so easy. Join the team today.[2]

2. Mission-driven Co-Laborers
I need a team of people – no actually I would be happy with just one person whose heart beats for this stuff. Young Life and the Catholic Church, evangelization and discipleship, bridging the gap and inaugurating a change of cultures. I just need someone who I can work with. I can’t do this alone. This has to be fleshed out in community. It would help if you lived in my hometown but I would settle for someone who could really give some time to this. I need a team.

Michael can be contacted by emailing mhavercamp@gmail.com.



[1] Online giving is possible by visiting giving.younglife.org:
  Check the circle for "A Young Life Staff Member's Ministry" (second left justified circle)
  Click on the green "Search" tab right next to "A Young Life Staff Member's Ministry"
  Insert my last name – “Havercamp”
  My information should come up:

 Michael Havercamp (Training Associate I)
MD - Training Fund - 1515 Divisional Development

  Click on the orange "Select"
  Enter the gift amount and click "Make this a recurring donation"
  Then click the blue "Add Gift" and you're all done!

[2] THANK YOU for those of you who already give so faithfully to this ministry! I’m so grateful for you and your friendship in the Gospel.

1 comment:

  1. That took great courage, Michael! I'm so glad you did it! I also wish that I were free to partner with you. I do so believe in your work for the Savior! I'm praying that enough of us will get off our comfy places and support you. God Bless...and expect miracles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your input. I pray that this dialogue may be a blessing to you personally and to the ministry you exercise in Christ.

Michael